≡ Menu

Will My Former Spouse Have To Help Pay For College Expenses, Even Though Our Child Is Only 7 Years Old Right Now?

College contributions can be something ordered by the court, but the precedents indicate wide latitude in how the court will implement it.

Given the young age of your child, courts are unlikely to make these determinations a priority right now, and the precedents around tax deferred savings accounts like 529 Plans are complex and subject to change.

If you have a young child and want to ensure adequate financial support from your spouse to assist with college expenses, it’s important to spell out as clearly as possible what each party’s obligation is right now, and to try to anticipate how your child’s financial needs may evolve over time.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can guide the process in the best way for your child. Call 718-523-1111 for a free consultation.