≡ Menu

My Spouse Abandoned Me And I Don’t Know Where He Is. Can I Still Get A Divorce?

Yes, New York allows a process known as “publication divorce” for situations where one spouse has, for all intents and purposes, disappeared and the other spouse doesn’t know how to locate him or her.

In a publication divorce, you are required to conduct a thorough search of the internet, public databases, DMV records, and other places where your spouse’s location is likely to turn up.

If that fails, and the judge agrees that the search has been exhaustive, you will be permitted to publish a notice in a local newspaper announcing your intention to divorce your missing spouse.

In conducting a search for a publication divorce, a law firm’s resources can be a big asset.

If you’re not sure where your spouse is and you’re ready to move on, call Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino at 718-523-1111.