≡ Menu

Can I Get Maintenance During And After The Divorce?

New York courts understand that spouses have an obligation to care for one another, and in a marriage, it is recognized that one spouse often makes material sacrifices that diminish his or her earning potential or existing resources.

If you are the lower earning spouse in a marriage that is ending, the attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino will ask the court for an order of Pendente Lite support – a temporary support order that will keep you afloat through the divorce.

Part of your divorce settlement may include maintenance, for a set period of time or in a more open ended way, depending on the circumstances of your marriage and divorce.

Some of the factors the court will look at include the length of the marriage, your age and health and that of your spouse, your current earnings and your potential future earnings, whether you need additional education or training to support yourself in the future, and the contributions one spouse has made as a homemaker or full time parent during the marriage.

When you need help leaving a marriage, the attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino are here for you.

Call us for a free consultation at 718-523-1111.