≡ Menu

My Ex-Spouse Is Not Doing Something The Court Ordered. What Do I Do?

Whether it’s not paying maintenance or child support, playing with the rules around visitation and custody, or engaging in harassing communications, for some ex-spouses, the post-divorce landscape includes an ex who simply won’t comply with court orders.

When that happens, and especially if your former spouse is developing a pattern of non-compliance, let your lawyer know.

These issues can and should be brought before a family court judge who can take steps to enforce the court orders, including finding your former spouse in contempt of court.

If found guilty of contempt of court, your former spouse will have two options: Correct the issue in violation, or go to jail.

It’s usually a very effective approach.

If your former spouse isn’t abiding by the terms of your divorce decree, call the Queens divorce team at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino at 718-523-1111 for a free consultation today.