≡ Menu

Can I Keep My Ex’s New Boyfriend Or Girlfriend Away From My Kids?

It’s very common to hear that a client has concerns about their ex’s new boyfriend or girlfriend, and many of the people we represent would simply prefer that their kids not have a relationship with a former spouse’s new love.

It’s the most human thing in the world to want that, but in New York, the state won’t take any steps to interfere unless you have a good reason to believe that the new person is a danger to your children.

For instance, if your former spouse is dating a felon, or someone with a history of drug or alcohol abuse, you may have grounds to request that your kids not be exposed to that person.

In most cases, your best course of action is to try to talk to your ex and communicate any concerns you have.

If you tread carefully, you may be able to work out some ground rules with your ex.

If you are genuinely concerned that your former spouse is exposing your kids to people who pose a threat, the attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can help you notify the court and take steps to protect them.

Call us at 718-523-1111 and talk to an experienced Queens child custody attorney for free.