≡ Menu

Can I Make My Spouse Pay My Legal Fees For The Divorce?

Yes, if you are the so-called “non-monied spouse” in the marriage, the court has a presumption that the wealthier party will pay some or all of your legal fees.

New York law makes this presumption, under the theory that a party’s wealth or lack thereof should not be a hindrance to that party’s assertion of their legal rights.

If you are ready to divorce but are concerned about your ability to pay for counsel, take heart.

The state of New York will protect your right to leave your marriage, as it protected your right to enter into the marriage.

The Queens divorce attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can help you get the support you need to take control of your life. Call us today at 718-523-1111 for a free consultation.