≡ Menu

How Do I Make My Spouse Pay Child Support?

Child support is a very serious obligation that the non-custodial parent is required to abide by.

If your former spouse is avoiding making child support payments for any reason, it’s important that you let the court know.

There are steps the court can take to enforce support obligations, including finding your former spouse in contempt of court and putting them in jail until such time as they are willing to remedy the situation.

At Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino, we help our clients handle a variety of circumstances that impact their custody and child support agreements.

Sometimes non-payment is a matter of a former spouse being angry and wanting to get back at their ex.

But there are other circumstances as well, such as when the non-custodial spouse loses a job or becomes disabled.

If your relationship with your former spouse is generally good and there’s no history of problems with support payments, it’s possible to negotiate a modified support schedule or take other steps that maintain good relations while reflecting the reality of current circumstances.

If you need help getting your former spouse to pay child support, or need help modifying an agreement to give them some breathing room during a hardship, call us at 718-523-1111 and talk to a Queens child support attorney today.