≡ Menu

What Do I Do About Support When I’ve Lost My Job?

If you’ve experienced a significant life change like a job loss or a serious illness and can no longer afford the child or spousal support obligations you’ve agreed to, you have to notify the court.

Child support is calculated as a percentage of your income, while spousal support is often a more complicated calculation.

If your income has dropped suddenly or evaporated entirely, you need to have your attorney petition the court for a modification before you fall behind and risk consequences from the judge.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can help you work with the court and your former spouse to create a workable agreement that fits your circumstances.

Call us today at 718-523-1111 and learn how we can help you get through a trying time.