≡ Menu

Do I Petition In Family Court In Queens For Child Custody And Support, Or Is That Part Of The Divorce Settlement?

Child custody and support matters must be included as part of the divorce decree, but many couples initially develop custody and support agreements through Family Court before they file for divorce.

If you or your spouse have just filed for divorce, your attorney should plan to file for temporary child custody for you, particularly if you are the primary caretaker of the child.

The temporary orders, if acceptable to both spouses, can ultimately be incorporated into the final divorce judgment as the final custody and support agreements, or the spouses may have reason to continue to negotiate to find a more appropriate settlement of the issues.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can help you establish your claims for child custody and get the child support you need. Call us today at 718-523-1111 for a free consultation with a Queens child custody lawyer.