≡ Menu

Can I Contest The Divorce After I’ve Defaulted?

Yes, if you failed to respond promptly after being served, you can still choose to engage your divorce process.

It’s even possible to reopen the matter after the divorce has been granted, though the longer you wait, the less likely it is that the court will be willing to hear you out.

If you chose not to respond to your spouse’s summons and complaint and had a change of heart after the deadline, the court will allow you to contest the action and make your own case.

It may be that you’ve decided that the terms you had agreed to aren’t in your interest, or you may simply want to slow the process down for reasons of your own.

In either case, an experienced divorce attorney can help you make your case to the court and negotiate effectively for what you need.

Call Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino today at 718-523-1111 and talk to a Queens divorce lawyer for free.