≡ Menu

How Can I Collect If My Spouse Is Self-Employed And Behind On Child Support?

Child support in New York is generally deducted automatically from an employee’s paycheck, but as the workforce changes in the 21st century, more and more people are finding that self-employment, either as a sole proprietor or an LLC, is a viable path for their careers.

For some, their business entity will provide them a regular and steady paycheck from which deductions will be made, but others will be paid on irregular schedules directly by payees.

When your newly self-employed former spouse falls behind on child support payments, the state of New York has a variety of options for collecting the money, including intercepting tax returns or even seizing bank accounts.

The first step you have to make is to notify Family Court that your former spouse has stopped paying or has payments in arrears.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can help you get fast relief when noncustodial parents stop paying their support obligation.

Call us today at 718-523-1111 for a free consultation.