≡ Menu

My Kids Live In Another State With My Ex, While I Live In Queens. Which State Has Jurisdiction For Custody Matters?

If your divorce was finalized in Queens, then you can petition a court about a custody matter right here.

If your divorce happened in the state where your former spouse and your children live, that would be the appropriate venue to pursue an action. Keep in mind that courts have wide discretion in determining exactly what the correct jurisdiction is.

In many cases, divorced parents live in separate states, neither of which was their home during the marriage or the divorce.

To properly address custody matters in Queens, regardless of where your children and former spouse live, work with the experienced attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino.

Call us today at 718-523-1111 for a free consultation.