≡ Menu

Am I Entitled To Compensation If I Invested Heavily In Our Queens Home, Which My Spouse Owns Separately?

It’s certainly possible to get some of your investment back if you paid for a renovation or otherwise put money into a separate asset like a home.

These issues are necessarily complex, and many things will factor.

If the investment happened many years ago, you shouldn’t expect a large return since you’ve been enjoying the benefits of your investment.

More recent improvements, especially where they substantially increased the value of the asset, may entitle you to more.

There are also situations, especially in very long marriages, where the combined efforts of the spouses to pay the mortgage, taxes, and upkeep on a property will convert the home to a marital asset outright.

Experienced divorce attorneys can help you properly appraise your investment and fight to get compensation for what you put in.

Call the attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino today at 718-523-1111 for a free consultation with experienced Queens divorce attorneys.