≡ Menu

Once I Move To New York, Can I File For Divorce In Queens Right Away?

New York has residency requirements for people choosing to file for divorce here.

If you and your spouse married in New York and then moved away, you are eligible to file for divorce after residing in Queens for one year.

Similarly, if the cause of the divorce occurred in New York, you may file after residing here for one year.

If you move to Queens without meeting these requirements – that your marriage was performed in New York, or that the cause of your divorce happened in New York – you will be required to wait two years to meet New York’s residency requirement.

If you desire a divorce on a shorter time line, it may be more advantageous to file in your home state.

If you prefer to file in New York, once you’ve met the residency requirements, you are free to divorce in Queens.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can help you divorce in Queens. Call us today at 718-523-1111 for a free consultation.