≡ Menu

Can I Change My Name Privately After A Divorce In Queens If My Spouse Is An Abuser?

Yes, in Queens, it is possible to have your name changed without publication if the court determines that publishing the act will jeopardize your safety.

Individuals who have been victims of domestic violence, stalking, and similar offenses are entitled to additional privacy measures when seeking name changes.

In addition, during divorce proceedings, courts will authorize privacy around addresses and other contact information when doing so will protect the individual from a violent spouse.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino know how important your safety is when leaving an abuser.

We ensure that our clients have all the protections that New York courts allow to keep them safe as they build a new life.

Call us today at 718-523-1111 and talk to an experienced Queens domestic violence and divorce attorney.