≡ Menu

We Are US Citizens, But Married Outside The Country. Do We File For Divorce In Queens Or In The Country Where We Wed?

If you are a legal resident in Queens, then Queens has jurisdiction to dissolve your marriage.

Many people plan destination weddings outside the US, and as long as the marriage was legally performed in the other nation, the US and the State of New York recognize it as valid.

You’ll file for divorce in Queens, and the courts in Queens will manage your divorce and ensure that all the terms required under New York law are appropriately addressed.

Working with an experienced divorce attorney is the best way to have a speedy divorce with the best possible outcome for you.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino protect our clients’ financial interests in the long run by fighting for the best possible settlements for them.

Call us today at 718-523-1111 for a free consultation with an experienced Queens divorce lawyer.