≡ Menu

Which State Has Jurisdiction For The Divorce If I’ve Been In Queens For Several Years And My Spouse Stayed In Our Home Town Out Of State?

Assuming you meet the two-year residency requirement, you can file for divorce in Queens, and the court here will have jurisdiction over your action.

The fact that your spouse is in another state can complicate your divorce, but it can also make it easier.

Often when a couple is estranged and living far apart, matters of property and financial entanglements are long resolved, and both can agree to dissolve marriage without too much wrangling.

On the other hand, a spouse often leaves because of abuse in the home or other issues that put their safety at risk, and filing for divorce can be daunting.

New York has protections in place that can help ensure that your address and other personal information stay private.

Whatever your situation, the attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can help you end your marriage with a minimum of concern and expense.

Call us today at 718-523-1111 for a free consultation with an experienced Queens divorce lawyer.