≡ Menu

My Spouse Moved To Another State And Filed For Divorce There. Do I Need A Lawyer There, Or In Queens?

Because each state governs its own matrimonial law, including how divorce is handled, you’ll need to retain counsel in the state where the action was filed.

However, in some circumstances it may be possible to challenge the jurisdiction and move the proceedings to New York.

You should talk to attorneys in both jurisdictions about the specifics of their state’s divorce law, how your case is likely to turn out, and then decide on the best course of action.

At Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino, we offer all potential clients a free initial consultation so you can walk through issues exactly like this without it costing you an arm and a leg.

If you decide to pursue a venue change, our attorneys offer comprehensive representation that can protect your wealth and assets even in difficult divorces.

Call us today at 718-523-1111 to speak to an experienced Queens divorce attorney for free.