≡ Menu

Can I Ask The Judge To Order Us Into Counseling Instead Of Starting With My Spouse’s Divorce Proceedings In Queens?

No, the judge in your case has no authority to disregard your spouse’s divorce action and order you into marriage counseling.

Your spouse can divorce you with or without your consent, and with or without your participation.

If you’ve been served with divorce papers but aren’t sure you’re ready to divorce, there are ways to slow the process so you can have more time to try to reconcile.

What you shouldn’t do is ignore the summons you’ve received under the mistaken belief that not responding will stall the process.

Instead, the court will eventually find you in default and allow the petition to proceed without your input.

You do not have the ability to stop the divorce by not participating, and you run the risk of losing big by ignoring the action against you.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino make sure that your interests are protected, and that your divorce proceeds at a pace that you are comfortable with.

If you need more time to try to reconcile, we make that happen.

Call us today at 718-523-1111 for a free consultation with an experienced Queens divorce attorney.