≡ Menu

I Was Served With Divorce Papers In Queens. Do I Have To Sign Right Away, Or Can I Take Some Time?

Under reforms implemented in 2010, your spouse can obtain a divorce even if you don’t respond to the summons and complaint you’ve received.

While it isn’t advisable for you to avoid participation in your divorce, you do have the right to take some time, consult an attorney, and ensure that the divorce reflects your best interests.

You can respond to the summons in several ways.

In the first, you will submit an Answer to the court, which indicates that you dispute elements of the divorce and that the divorce will be contested.

If you don’t disagree with the terms laid out in the summons, you can submit the Affidavit of Defendant, and proceed with an uncontested divorce.

Consulting a divorce lawyer is the best way to ensure that your rights and financial well-being are protected in the divorce.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can help.

Call us today at 718-523-1111 for a free consultation with an experienced Queens divorce lawyer.