≡ Menu

If I Spend My Own Money On Additional Training And Then Start Earning More, Can My Ex Come After Me For Increased Child Support In Queens?

Unfortunately, yes, anytime your income substantially changes, you or your spouse can seek a modification in your child support payments.
While it may not seem fair that you’ll have to pay for training in order to give more money to your former spouse, the truth is that you’re almost certainly better off with enhanced skills and a higher income, even if it means your child support obligation increases slightly.

It may be beneficial to you to fully review your current and future financial picture to plan for likely outcomes ahead.

Depending on the specifics of your divorce settlement and your child custody agreement, you may find that some amount of financial planning can help you avoid unintended consequences of a higher income.

Call the attorneys Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino at 718-523-1111 for a free consultation with an experienced Queens child support attorney today.