≡ Menu

We Were Married In Another State But Live In Queens. Where Do We File For Divorce?

If you meet New York’s residency requirements, you’ll file for divorce here, regardless of where you married.

Many people choose to have “destination weddings” in scenic places or even other countries, but as New York residents, our state’s courts retain jurisdiction over matrimonial matters.

If you have not been New York residents for the past year, or, if you live in different states, you personally have not been a New York resident for the past two years, you’ll either have to wait until you meet the requirement, or file in your previous jurisdiction.

There may be advantages for you in having these options, as some jurisdictions may offer better terms than others based on your circumstances.

If you’re considering divorce in Queens, the attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can help you get the very best settlement possible.

Call us today at 718-523-1111 for a free consultation.