≡ Menu

Does My Spouse Have To Be Personally Served With Papers?

Yes, your spouse has to be served with papers by a person over the age of 18. You are not allowed to personally serve the papers on your spouse.

If you choose to use a process server, you can rely on knowing that an informed individual can properly serve the papers, and that the process service will provide proof of service.

If your spouse then fails to respond, you’ll need to show the proof of service to continue the divorce, which will be a default divorce.

If you cannot prove your spouse was served, the court will not allow a default divorce under normal procedures.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can make sure your divorce runs smoothly.

Call us today at 718-523-1111 and talk to an experienced Queens divorce lawyer for free.