≡ Menu

How Can I Enforce Child Support For A Self-Employed Ex-Spouse?

While the state takes proactive steps to collect child support, when a spouse is self-employed, it isn’t as easy as issuing a withholding order to their company’s HR department.

When your former spouse operates as a sole proprietorship or similar small business entity and chooses not to pay their child support obligation, you may be forced to petition Family Court for more significant means of collections.

The state has a number of ways to collect past-due child support payments from delinquent parents, including interception of tax refunds, suspension of a driver’s license, and seizure of financial assets like bank accounts that can be used to pay the arrears.

When your former spouse has decided to leave your children out, you have to take steps to protect them.

Call the attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino at 718-523-1111 for a free consultation with an experienced child support enforcement attorney.