≡ Menu

What Do I Do When I Believe My Ex-Spouse Has Physically Abused Our Child During Visitation?

Child abuse is an extremely serious allegation to make, and because the consequences can be so severe, you should work to gather as much evidence as you can.

If your child came home with obvious injuries, take photographs and talk to your child about how they were caused.

Consider taking your child to their regular pediatrician to get injuries evaluated, documented, and to ensure that your child’s health is otherwise good.

It may make sense to notify police immediately. You should also plan to raise the matter with a Family Court judge and seek a modification to your custody agreement.

Supervised visitation, or no visitation at all, may be safer alternatives for your family. An order of protection may also be beneficial in the short term.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can help you understand your options and the best way forward.

Call us today at 718-523-1111 for a free consultation.