≡ Menu

How Can I Get A Divorce In Queens If I Don’t Know Where My Spouse Is?

In our wired world, it’s usually possible to track down an absent spouse through public records searches or even the Internet and social media.

But in cases where you can show the court that you’ve engaged in a good faith search for a spouse you’ve lost track of, it is still possible to obtain a divorce.

Judges in Queens can allow what is known as Publication Divorce, where you use a classified advertisement published over a period of time in the paper of the spouse’s last known address to serve your spouse with news of the pending divorce.

Your spouse will have a set period of time in which to respond, and failing that, your divorce can proceed as a default divorce.

The important part is that the court knows that you have engaged in a thorough effort to track down your missing spouse.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can help you conduct your due diligence and proceed with a Publication Divorce if your spouse really doesn’t want to be found.

Call us today at 718-523-1111 for a free consultation with an experienced Queens divorce lawyer.